Friday, April 13, 2012

Jakob Nielsen making waves again


Quite a few folks mentioned to me that Jakob Neilsen doesn't like responsive design -  examples provided here and here.

I've got a few things to say...

Jakob is a hell of a guy. I might not agree with everything he says but I've got to give him credit for being focused on usability.
I'll need to read his arguments again (his writing is not quite the Readers Digest type i am accustomed to) but currently it is the right approach I think. HTML5 and CCS3 despite lots of talk are not being widely adopted and building a responsive design with lots of code patches handling different devices is not an option in the long run.

Plus Josh Clark calls himself "mobile maven" which makes me question everything he says.  ;)

Seriously though, non of his critics provided any meaningful counter arguments.  If you really want to be taken seriously provide some numbers, sources and address the real issues without calling to the obvious "Mobile deserves better..." and your personal perceptions of how things should work.




No comments:

Post a Comment